Check this page for information about student presentation awards, travel grants, and activities during the conference!
Jerome H. Remick III Poster Competition – select “yes” to being considered for this award when submitting your poster abstract on Fourwaves.
Mineral Deposits Division Student Presentation Awards – done during the conference.
Canadian Tectonics Group Student Travel Awards – contact dawn.kellett@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca for an application. Deadline March 31st.
Precambrian Division Student Travel Awards – contact email@example.com for an application. Deadline March 25th, notification by March 28th so you can still register for field trips!
Early Career and Student Events
Students and Early Career Researchers and Professionals at Halifax 2022 GAC-MAC-CSPG-IAH
Halifax 2022 GAC-MAC-CSPG-IAH is a unique opportunity for Students and Early Career Researchers and Professionals to attend and present their research at a highly attended national meeting. The Students and Early Career Researchers and Professionals program aims to foster and promote the opportunity for academic professional networking, where students and early career researchers can meet with a wide diversity of mentors, employers, and established scholars.
Committee members: Ricardo Silva, Carla Skinner and Ryan Threndyle
- SCW-A3 Technical Writing workshop for students and ECRs
- St. Marys University
- Register on Fourwaves under Short Courses/Workshops
- Writing workshop aimed at Early Career Researchers and Students, led by Dr. Jacob Hanley
- This one-day workshop for students and other emerging geoscience professionals will teach key elements of scientific/technical communication. Individual and group assignments and a presentation/technical report will be completed in laboratory sessions.
- Early Career Mentorship Meetup
- Sunday May 15th, 6 – 9 pm
- Experienced researchers and early career individuals are encouraged to meet at the ECR area during the Icebreaker event. The objective is to expand networks and speak with academics, researchers, and industry professionals.
- IAH-CNC Early Career Event
- Monday May 16th, 12:30 – 1:30 pm
- The IAH Early Career Network welcomes students and early career professionals to a speaker panel and networking mixer. Three invited early career researchers (Dr. Magdalena Krol, Dr. Lauren Somers, Dr. Geneviève Bordeleau) will be sharing their experiences in an open discussion and Q and A. This will be followed by an opportunity to mix and mingle with other ECHN members and provide feedback to the ECHN executive! Lunch not provided. Light refreshments will be available.
- HCC 504
- Panel Discussion – How to navigate a job application and interview
- Monday May 16th, 4-5 pm
- Job applications and interviews can be challenging, especially for students and early career individuals who may be new to the process. Invited panellists from industry, government, and academia will be sharing their advice on how to apply for positions in their fields, the do’s and don’ts for interviews, and other tips to help you stand out. Attend our open discussion and Q&A to learn more!
- HCC B506/507
- Early Career Trivia Contest
- Tuesday May 17th, 4-5 pm
- A trivia contest targeted at early career professionals with questions across hydrogeology, mineralogy, petrology, and geology. Questions will be read and presented on a monitor, with answers displayed for scoring after each question. Most points after 20 questions wins! Prizes for 1st , 2nd and 3rd place! If you are not in your “early career”, you may participate by teaming up with someone who is. One smart device (phone, tablet, etc.) per team will be required to participate.
- HCC B612/613
There will be volunteer opportunities at the conference. Volunteers who complete a specified number of hours will be eligible to have their registration fee reimbursed. Please check here for information as it becomes available.